Monday, January 16, 2012

Biscuits for Supper

Sean didn't have to work today, and I ended up getting home before two in the afternoon-so that means that it's been a pretty good day.
When trying to figure out what to make for supper I stumbled across a picture of a ham and egg biscuit. I had never made biscuits before, so I decided to try my hand at it! It turned out pretty well, but I may try a different recipe next time, just for fun. I found this recipe in a cookbook made by a nursing home in my hometown-full of fun recipes!
Here's the recipe:
2 cups flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
salt
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
2/3 cup milk

Mix the dry ingredients together. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine egg and milk; add to mixture all at once. Stir until mixed, but sticky. Turn out onto a floured board and knead gently for about 15 strokes. Roll to 3/4 inch thickness, then cut with a glass dipped in flour. Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake at 450 for about 12 minutes. (The recipe actually said 15, but I took mine out at 13 and they looked a little brown. I would suggest 12 minutes).

And viola!















They were pretty tasty with the ham and egg, but kind of had a heavy pancake taste to them on their own. As I said, I might try another recipe next time I make biscuits-but for an impromptu supper these were great! Very easy and quick.
Happy Baking!
God Bless,
KJA

Matthew 13:33
He told them still another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed into about sixty pounds of flour until it worked all through the dough.”

4 comments:

Marisa Noelle said...

Oh my those look sooo good! I love biscuits but it's been forever since I've attempted making them. I love pancakes so much...so I would probably like the taste of those:) Thinking I'm going to do a breakfast for dinner tomorrow since we are always in a rush, leaving early for church.

LyddieGal said...

that looks delish! now i know what i'll be craving for breakfast...

Chic on the Cheap

JB said...

There is nothing better than a homemade biscuit! I usually make a batch once a week for Dork so he can pop them in the microwave in the mornings (as I sleep).

I'd be more than happy to share with you my secret recipe. ;)

Midwest Muse said...

I'm suddenly so hungry!