Sunday, February 9, 2014

Devotional: Combating Lies 2

Good morning all! It's time for a Sunday Devotional. My series right now is looking at different lies that we may believe about ourselves, and how to combat those lies using scripture.

The second lie is this: I am a failure, I am inadequate.

Key Scriptures:

2 Corinthians 3:5-6
Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God.  He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant—not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

This has been such an significant verse for me to remember. Especially in those times when I am stressing out and trying to make everything happen for myself, I just need to remember that my competence comes FROM CHRIST. Not by anything I can do, but what I can do through God that matters. If I am stressed about working with my kiddos at work, I can lean on God to grant me patience and love. If I am worried about keeping up a household, I can know that the most important thing in our household is serving God, and everything else will fall into place. Because when you put God first, those little stressors that plague your brain suddenly don't seem so important anymore. They fade away because the things of this world are not the things that matter. If I completely screw up dinner one night (or a million other things during my day), it doesn't mean I'm a failure. My identity is in Christ and how I show my love to others through my actions and words. As long as I have lived my life in a way that shows God's love to others, I have accomplished my primary goal of bringing others to Him, and that is what matters most to me. 
The phrase, "the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life." refers to the Old Testament law and how we should not lean on the Law as a means of our salvation, but we need to believe in Christ's death for us to grant us salvation.


Philippians 4:13
I can do all this through Him who gives me strength.

I believe this is one of my favorite verses of all time. It is pretty self explanatory, but for the sake of elaboration I will just say that when I fail as a human being, I can still accomplish great things through Christ!



I hope this inspires you for your week ahead, have a great Sunday! 
God Bless, 
KJA


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Thank you!!!