Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Winter Blues


The day I took these photos it was extremely cold and windy. My stole kept flying all over the place! I was so excited to finally wear this dress. I have had it sitting in my closet for years just trying to come up with a place to wear it to. I finally just decided to wear it for fun-who needs a special occasion? It is a gorgeous steel blue taffeta frock of my grandmother's. According to my grandparents, she wore it to a friend's wedding probably in the 1950's. How fun to think of her attending a wedding celebration in this dress with my grandfather. It's always incredibly interesting to think of your grandparents when they were your age. We tend to think of older generations of people as how they are now-for instance my grandmother loves to play solitaire games, read, and do other quiet hobbies. However, I bet when she was my age she was just as silly and fun as can be. I wish by putting on old garments you could live the lives of the previous owners, if only for a few minutes.

 


I also finally had the perfect dress to wear with this light blue hat from my shop. It is such a gorgeous piece I almost don't want to give it up, but then again I feel that way about pretty much every item I have, so... :) Check it out!


The little piece of luggage was a gift from my friend Kim who owns the shop RetroRemnants! I am excited to begin using it to transport my hats when I travel :) She stuffed it with a few little gifts as well such as some little bolero jackets from the 1950's. I need to get them cleaned and fixed up, but they're darling pieces.


Hope you're having a fantastic week!
God Bless,
KJA


Romans 5:1-5
Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.  And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.



Wearing:
Hat- Buy at: MidwestCharmVintage
Gloves, Dress- Grandmother's
Fur Stole, Luggage, Belt- Vintage
Tights- Charlotte Russe, Similar
Shoes- Hush Puppies from Kohl's, Buy Here
Lips- Revlon Cream Lipstick in Black Cherry, Similar

14 comments:

JennaStevie said...

This is a great colour on you, I especially love it with that colour lipstick, they were meant to be worn together!! This is a gorgeous vintage dress and perfect with the fur stole ;)
xJennaD

ModernVintageStyle said...

Your grandmother's dress is simply divine, and it suits you perfectly. How lucky to have such an heirloom, in such good condition and such a good fit! I commented before on your tights, and they seem even more perfect with this dress. And the hat is a wonderful finishing touch. All in all, gorgeous! K x

jana said...

I'm so loving blue lately! This outfit is perfect. And you always have the best bangs!! So envious! Mine never turn out that great!
:)

Jana
www.janagodin.blogspot.com

Ali Hval said...

Ohhh my goodness! This really is a gorgeous dress and I'm glad you got around to wearing it. I know what you mean by having formal-ish dresses that are hard to wear as everyday items, but I love that you did it anyway! Hmmm, I've gotta give that a go myself. :) The blue is so pretty! And those closeups are so gorgeous of you, Miss Katie! Oh, you rock bold lipstick so well. You're such a beauty and it always astonishes me that you're not like a covergirl model or something *___* are you secretly one?

Lindsey Louise Bales said...

gosh, your lipstick here! i love how you pull of these colors. the fur is such a great item to add to this dress, i've been wearing fur non-stop this winter.

lindsey louise

hellomrrabbitblog.com

Nancy Wilde said...

You look gorgeous! That shade of blue is beyond pretty.

Sammi said...

Oh my gosh, this look is SO beautiful on you, Katie! So so glamorous and classy. This blue is such a great color, and I loove the stole and hat!!

xox Sammi
www.thesoubrettebrunette.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

The hair, make up and outfit are just perfection. Love the vintage look.

xoxo
Ivy
http://www.purrpleivy.com/

Elliementary, My Dear said...

You look fantastic :) That blue color is so pretty on you and I love the fur stole and vintage luggage.

Unknown said...

You look beautiful in this dress! I love the gloves and your cute luggage :) Also, you are so brave for taking pictures in the cold!
Amia

Merry C. said...

That whole ensemble just screams CUTE! I love that you love your grandmothers dresses! I feel the same way about my grandmother! While I don't have any dresses from either of my grandmothers one did give me two of her patterns that I cherish and can recreate "the look". Blessings to you dear for braving the cold! We as your readers can truly appreciate that! Merry from eachlittlebird.blogspot.com

Jennifer Rainey said...

What a perfect outfit! I adore that blue. You look just beautiful! (And I'm thinking about going hunting for that lipstick shade now; what a great color.)

-Jenny
http://singingbirdvintage.blogspot.com

Kristian said...

All the accessories perfectly match this!

Samantha said...

Oh, I find blue is just perfect for winter and this dress attests to that! You look absolutely stunning, dear!