Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Poodle

I love to try out new hairstyles. I think that in vintage fashion, a good hairstyle is the key to transforming yourself into someone from a bygone era. Fashions and silhouettes have only changed slightly throughout the decades. Hair, however has been like a sculpture, evolving like an artform into so many styles. Today hair is so low maintenance that many (myself included) tend to just wash and wear our hair down and straight. There's not enough fun thrown into process of getting all done up on a day to day basis! 
I recently received a series of books on vintage styling (hopefully a review on those soon) and couldn't wait to try out some of the styles within them. This hairstyle is called "The Poodle" and was most famously worn on the fantastic Lucille Ball. She is definitely one of my fashion icons. My hair even looks a bit more red in a style like this! Perhaps I really was channeling Lucy a bit ;)
I wore this to our favorite little diner spot for some brunch with my hubby and father in law! Those are always the best times, chatting over pancakes and such :)


 My hair is a bit long for this style, so some of my curls pulled out in the wind before I could get them pinned. It just looks a bit more tousled I suppose...I shall have to fix that for next time! The style took a bit of time, but was actually quite simple! I wore my hair in curlers the night before and then took them out the next morning. I just finger combed through the curls, tipped my head upside down, twisted the hair a bit, and pinned it to my head with some clips and a few bobby pins. I then piled the curls on top of my head until I was satisfied with the way they looked and then pinned the goodness out of them! Lastly, hairspray. Oh so much hairspray!


I found this dandy of a cardigan on my most recent thrift venture for four dollars! It has the loveliest embroidery on it and the creamy shade of pale pink is perfect to pair with all of my skirts and dresses. It is one of my favorite finds yet! Not to mention these pearl and rhinestone drop earrings that were three dollars. I couldn't pass them up!


I hope you're having a simply lovely weekend! Hopefully our snow has stopped for the year and warmer temps are on their way, but who knows. 
God Bless!
KJA

Colossians 3:15
Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.




Wearing:
Earrings, Cardigan- Vintage, thrifted at Y's Buys
Skirt- Vintage, thrifted at Four Season's Flea Market
Bag- Vintage, thrifted at Community Thrift Store
Coat and Gloves- Grandma's
Pearls- Gift from sister
Shoes- Payless

13 comments:

Sammi said...

Gorgeous! You look lovely, and I adore that cardigan. You're totally right about the hairstyle really transforming the look. I wish I had more time to devote to making an effort into doing retro and vintage hairstyles... if I just had more hours in the day!!!

xox Sammi
www.thesoubrettebrunette.blogspot.com

Lindsey Louise Bales said...

oh my gosh, yes you are so right! this hairstyle is so darling, you can just pull anything off dear. ah, your long locks are just perfect for these things!

lindsey louise

hellomrrabbitblog.com

Unknown said...

love the vintage touch in this outfit and all the bright reds make me super cheerful!
would you like to follow each other?
A
xx
http://epiquemoi.blogspot.com

Keit said...

Vintage fairy tale! I love your hairdos, can't wait for my hair to grow already! :D And that cardi is adorable!

The Dragonfruit said...

Oh my word, did you step into this world from a different time frame?? You are seriously transforming into one amazing vintage model Katie! I love that you put the effort to do your hair up - its so true, spending time on your hair can really transform a look, huh? I wish I had your patience...or time! >_< Haha, a lot of girls my age just straighten their hair, but I don't even do that. The most I do is wash my hair and brush it lol
Anyway, that cardigan is definitely dreamy, and I love the red pencil skirt paired with it. So romantic!
This entire post is just gorgeous. One of my favorites yet! :)

Trendy Teal

Sophie said...

You really do look like you're from a bygone era! Simply stunning!
Sophie
X

My Modern Vintage said...

just gorgeous I love your cute cardi!
xo Ilana @ My Modern Vintage

Kristian said...

Yeah, pinning the curls a bit more will probably help, but it is also very pretty here. I've tried to do a similar style and my hair was too long/all over the place, so I'm even more impressed knowing your hair is twice the length. You should consider doing another tutorial for this...

The cardigan and skirt goes beautifully together.

Ali Hval said...

Oh my, Katie! Your hair is lovely! Hair is really something that people (including myself) don't work on much these days, but man, you always make me want to do otherwise. These curls are so very pretty and really finishes off all your outfit. Also, the red skirt with that red lipstick? So perfect!

JennaStevie said...

You look so stunning, I love your hair like this!! I wish I could do things like this with my hair, although I do love having it short because it's easy.
You mix blue and red so well, love that jacket and the cardigan is gorgeous. A steal of a deal!
xJennaD

jana said...

almost every time you post an outfit, i think "that's the cutest outfit!" i'm so envious of all of your vintage finds! and you pair them up so well :)

Léna's Cameo said...

The hairstyle is so perfect !!

Unknown said...

Wow you're so glamorous with this outfit and this hair! so stylish! I like it!
I want to try this hairstyle but maybe my hair are too long!