Friday, February 22, 2013

Vintage Blouse



Sometimes you find a combination that just makes you feel great. When I received this swapped skirt in the mail from Marlen I knew I wanted to play up the pencil shape as much as possible. In entered  one of my most stunning thrift find ever-this vibrant vintage top with all six of it's crystal buttons still firmly in place and an enchanting neck tie built in- for only 3 dollars (My guess is that it's from the 1930's?). The colors just made me feel so confident and wonderful together! Not to mention the blouse fit me like a glove. It was a perfect match. Except...this fashion story has a sad ending. 
Thankfully I decided to take pictures before we went to church Sunday morning. Usually we take them after church, but I didn't want the blouse to be all wrinkled and such-I wanted to show it in it's perfect, beautiful glory. Well, good thing we did take pictures before church because apparently this blouse is so old and delicate that by the time we got home a couple hours later the blouse was all but falling apart. All of the seams across the sides and back are just ripping apart. Thank goodness we made it home without me becoming indecently exposed (at church no less)! I'm so bummed because I don't think the damage is fixable. The threads and material are just so old and full of holes now. If my vintage knits get holes in them, I just sew them shut-but one can't do that with a stiff taffeta like material. 
Well, at least I got one shining moment out of the blouse, and all six of it's buttons are still in tact so I can salvage those perhaps.


You had a good run, perfect orange blouse. Where's a fashion fairy when you need one?

Hope you all have a blessed Friday! I feel as though this week went so quickly-which I am certainly not complaining about. 
God Bless!
KJA


I John 4:18
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.




Wearing:
Hat, Blouse, Coat- Vintage, thrifted via Y's Buys
Shoes- You by Crocs-thrifted via Plato's Closet
Bag- Vintage, thrifted via The Retro Room
Skirt- Swap with Marlen from Messages on a Napkin

14 comments:

Bethie The Boo said...

Aww, I'm so sorry to hear the blouse fell apart on you! It's so lovely, the buttons are darling and it's a great color! I hope you are able to maybe find another use for at least some of what's left!

Ali Hval said...

Noooo! I'm so sorry that your blouse fell apart. :( Ah well, you wore it until it's very last moments, and so it lived a nice life. It's such a lovely color, too!

Also, I really adore your skirt~ the pattern is so pretty! I love repeating geometric patterns like that that aren't super black and white bold. The yellow and green is much more subtle and pretty.

JennaStevie said...

Aww that's so sad that this blouse started to fall apart, that's the worst!!! Ugh, I hate when that happens. This is a very beautiful outfit though, that blouse goes perfectly with this fun pencil skirt :)
xJennaD

Gracey at Fashion for Giants said...

Oh, no, I'm so sorry to hear about your blouse. It's so gorgeous and this pairing is one of my favorites for sure. That's definitely a problem with older vintage pieces - they start to disintegrate after a bit.

Little-Hat said...

I'm so sorry about your blouse! But at least you got these perfect photos before it died!!! I love this colorful combo!

I had a dress rip all down the bodice at church once, too. In the middle of the sermon hymn! I had to steal my husband's button-up shirt and leave him in his t-shirt to run home and change!

xoxox
theefface.blogspot.com

YEYE STYLE BLOG said...

Love your outfit so much :)
laviecestyeye.com

Jessi said...

Wow Katie!! This color combo it so lovely. That top is such a stunning piece! What an amazing find. And it pairs oh-so-perfectly with Marlen's skirt! I'm swooning.
-Jessi
haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

Cambria said...

Aw, poor little blouse ;) Hope you can salvage it! Those buttons are totally gorgeous! LOOOOOVE this skirt on you, so flattering and a perfect textile.

<3 Cambria
jupefashion.blogspot.com

Well... said...

Oh no!! D: That blouse is just so pretty in these photos too - it definitely played off Marlen's skirt perfectly. Such a bold combination and it looks wonderful on you.
At least you got some awesome outfit photos out of it?
Aha, and that would've been SO bad if it fell apart in church! I can't imagine...haha, glad you made it home!


Trendy Teal

Flo said...

Hi Katie,
I'm sorry for the blouse. I read somewhere that before synthetic thread become standard (before the 50's?), seamstress used silk or cotton thread, which are very fragile with time.
I hope you could salvage a bit of the fabric too.

I a recent follower and I should ad I love your colours combinations !

Anastasia from Natbeesfashion said...

Stunning bag:)))The blouse is stunning too bad!
Lets follow each other :)I do it first, return love back?
xo
Anastasia
http://natbeesfashion.blogspot.gr/

Lauren said...

That skirt is super lovely!! And the diamond buttons on that top?! Adorable! Such a lovely vintage inspired look! xo

SomeoneLikeYou said...

Ow, ow you are so babein'! There is such a beauty and subtle sexiness when a women dresses in vintage. You pull it off effortlessly and oh so well! ♥

Kristian said...

GOR-GEOUS! What more can be said. I love that skirt on everyone and that blouse is lovely. So sorry to hear it got damaged!